Friday, January 21, 2011

Hints of a Former Life

One of the probably too many grand plans I had going in to 2011 was to start being more active again.

Note that I did not commit to actually running every day or any nonsense like that.  No sense going and getting in over my head with this exercise thing, right?

However, my body has reminded me frequently lately that I've been sitting far too still in the last two and a half years since we moved to NY.

Finally feeling like I can breathe freely again after from my ever-hanging-on cold, I decided today was the day to start, and running it was going to be. I was going to try to make it to the corner and back - all of 1.5 miles or so. But you have to start somewhere, right?

Of course, I failed to fully consider the weather when making that mental committment. Today was in the low twenties, so not too cold, but it was blowing stink (as we used to say) out there!

I dug out the few cold weather running clothes that I own and decided to brave it anyway. Turns out that in the half hour that I was out, the sun decided to come out too, so at least I had that going for me! And though the wind was blowing enough to freeze my ears and fingers in no time, it was at least blowing in the right direction to help push me up the slight hill coming home!

I have to say, it felt good. Once over the mental hump of saying I was going to go, and getting ready to be in the cold and snow, it was great to be out, shuffling along. I really really do want to try to do it more often.


And I will never ever ever complain about my running life in San Diego again.

It was heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to get feedback from you on my posts - please feel free to leave a comment! [Blogger's comment feature is a little confusing. To leave a comment with just your name, select "Name/URL" in the "Comment as" box and fill in at least your name.]