Saturday, January 29, 2011

Grahams

Last night we watched the movie Food Inc.

Now, I'd read the first part of Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma a while back, so I had an inkling of what was coming. But the timing must have been right last night for me to be receptive, and it ramped up the volume in my head about paying attention to where my food is coming from.

I'll spare you the details of the movie, but suffice it to say that if you're at all interested in introducing yourself to some information about how much of our food gets from place of production to us the consumers, I'd recommend the movie whole-heartedly. That and I expect I'll be finishing that Pollan book soon now too.

So... what am I really getting at?  Well, one of the little bug's favorite snacks of late has been Graham Crackers (of the Honey Maid variety). You know, the ones we had as kids ourselves and probably still eat in smores on occasion? Yeah, those yummy things. Well, one of the points mentioned in the movie last night was how everything these days has corn products in it, and sure enough, there on the list of ingredients of these crackers was high fructose corn syrup. 

Now, I'm not going to go all nazi and attempt to avoid that stuff at all costs, but it just so happens that I got a copy of Kim Boyce's Good to the Grain cookbook for my birthday this past year (thanks, Mom!), and in there is a recipe for "Grahams" from scratch. Could I make them with my own known ingredients and have them be as good as the ones I'd eaten for so many years? I was about to find out.

Before cooking - I wasn't too convinced, at least based on looks, that the experiment was going to work.

But a little miracle seemed to happen on that cookie tray in the oven, and I have to say,
I think they're even BETTER than Nabisco! Of course, the cinammon and sugar
on these here probably isn't hurting anything either...

Yippee! And though I didn't get a picture of it, these crackers (cookies?) passed the little-boy-litmus test with flying colors. The bug loves them.

I'll leave you with this shot of our little GQ guy himself, complete with Tigger on his shirt, puppies on his feet and the favorite boa-esque scarf from GrandMaMa around his neck. How I love this little man!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to get feedback from you on my posts - please feel free to leave a comment! [Blogger's comment feature is a little confusing. To leave a comment with just your name, select "Name/URL" in the "Comment as" box and fill in at least your name.]